Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Optimizing Your Garden for Drought or Water Conservation

Living in Colorado and being a gardener was quite stressful in recent years, as this state has a fairly severe drought. The city is imposing watering restrictions be not enough water to lawns and plants. I had to renovate my garden to make it more water efficient. Now that the techniques I have made, I am the only one in my neighborhood with a garden that is not totally brown. So if you are in an area hit by a drought, or if you just want to save water is to go live, I do some of these techniques as well. First, I have all my plants. I do not use the soil retain water was very good, so I had about twice as much water as needed to get it to actually absorb into the roots. If you have the same problem you can fix it by loading the soil with plenty of compost. This prevents not only that water escapes, but encourages the roots of the plant to be healthy and survive for more. Once I had finished the optimization of the ground for my new low water consumption plan, I was ready to replace all my plants. I decided that the placement of all my plants would be the amount of water necessary to play to keep them alive. All plants that are not much water that I progressed in my garden placed on a page, and then only in the amount of the required water to the other side of the garden. As a result of my new regime I have not enough water on plants that do not need it as much waste. The installation of a drip irrigation system was another step in my part, that the amount of water I had to fully water my garden reduced. The great thing about these systems is that they constantly drip into your plants, so that every single drop is absorbed. With traditional watering systems, usually the roots too much overwhelmed with the sheer amount of water in the soil. So much just seeps right past. This is provided with the drip system. If you still seem more water than you are at your garden supply needs, you might consider which plants you could replace with less water dependent plants. If you want a good shrub that does not use more than its share of water, search for Heavenly Bamboo. It is not only tolerant to drought, but looks rather decorative in any garden. Herbs such as rosemary are useful in the preparation of meals, and only rarely thirsty. If you try to flowers, still lush and beautiful despite the lower quantities of water, looking to find Penstemon varieties like Garnet, Apple Blossom, Moonbeam, and Midnight. You can attract hummingbirds and butterflies with varieties like Cosmos and Yarrow. The best part is all these plants, they look not so robust and resist, but they are safe. Your neighbors wont be saying "Look at them, they downgraded their plants just to withstand the drought. What idiots!" Instead, they are about how to keep your flowers so beautiful in the middle will be amazed at the watering rules. One of my favorite drought-resistant plants is the Lavender plant. I could go to pages about it. A large group of Lavender plants looks unbelievably gorgeous in your garden, grow and requires little water. Pineapple sage is another personal favorite. It is a shrub that smells strangely of pineapple 2 feet. There is another important attracts the hummingbirds, and the leaves are also useful to add taste to drinks. So if you are able, I was, and you're dealing with a drought and perhaps watering regulations, I suggest you try some of the things I have mentioned. Even if you only try to save water or generally more efficient with it are, I think you can still benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment